OMG. This is just too, too much. Pass the pie, please!
National Lemon Meringue Pie Day
Five Food Finds about Lemons
- Lemon trees bloom and produce fruit year-round. Each tree can produce between 500 and 600 pounds of lemons in a year.
- Add the juice of one lemon to an equal amount of hot water for an anti-bacterial gargle.
- Food historians say lemons have been in cultivation around the Mediterranean from as early as the first century A.D.
- High in vitamin C, lemons prevent scurvy, a disease that causes bleeding gums, loose teeth and aching joints. To this day, the British Navy requires ships to carry enough lemons so that every sailor can have one ounce of juice a day.
- California and Arizona produce 95% of the entire U.S. lemon crop.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1794 Elias Fries was born. A Swedish botanist who developed the first system for classifying fungi.
1796 John Torrey was born. American botanist…
View original post 206 more words