Foodimentary - National Food Holidays
Peaches and cream,
a traditional summertime dessert.
Today’s peach facts:
- Did you know? Peaches were once known as Persian apples.
- “You’re a real peach” originated from the tradition of giving a peach to the friend you liked.
- Peaches were mentioned as early as 79 A.D. in literature.
- A medium peach contains only 37 calories.
- There are over 700 varieties of peaches-some Chinese varieties are even flat like hockey pucks!
Today’s Food History
1834 Cyrus McCormick received a patent for the first practical mechanical reaper.
1893 The first Ferris Wheel opened at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois. Invented by George Washington Ferris, it had 36 cars and carried 60 passengers 264 feet high.
1933 A barge loaded with grain arrived in New Orleans to complete the first Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico barge trip.
View original post