Foodimentary - National Food Holidays
Peaches and cream,
a traditional summertime dessert.
Today’s peach facts:
- Did you know? Peaches were once known as Persian apples.
- “You’re a real peach” originated from the tradition of giving a peach to the friend you liked.
- Peaches were mentioned as early as 79 A.D. in literature.
- A medium peach contains only 37 calories.
- There are over 700 varieties of peaches-some Chinese varieties are even flat like hockey pucks!
Today’s Food History
- 1834 Cyrus McCormick received a patent for the first practical mechanical reaper.
- 1893 The first Ferris Wheel opened at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois. Invented by George Washington Ferris, it had 36 cars and carried 60 passengers 264 feet high.
- 1933 A barge loaded with grain arrived in New Orleans to complete the first Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico barge trip.
View original post